יום חמישי, 28 בינואר 2021

Yuan Abraham Tsur / Warriors. Street. Corner. / LA 1988

This photo of gang members is from Culver City, LA 1988. My Karate Dojo was a few blocks away. I came all the way from Jerusalem to practice with our chief instructor of our system in karate Do. This picture was taken after a primary a black belt practice which is used to be referred to as Sunday Practice. Practicing with our chief instructors Tsutomu Ohshima sensei, taking his class was like taking a class with Vaslav Nijinsky combined with a Medieval Warrior. One would come out of this practice with a boost of energy and positivity. So this photograph was taken after one of these practice. I drove down the street of Venice Boulevard, just about 10 minutes away from the dojo, there was a parking lot and on the corner of it, a stand alone pink booth owned by a very nice Japanese cook and with his broken English, he would serve you the most amazing hamburgers, simply out of this world. That Sunday afternoon I was lucky, I came across this group of gang members and we were sitting in adjacent tables. We start talking and I start shooting- they were fascinated with my camera, not to mention willing to take photographs of strangers. I had my Nikon FM2 with 35mm prime lens f2. on a Tri-X,(Printed on Ilford Fibre paper) When I got to the end of the roll, I opened the back of the camera to load a fresh roll of film , and one of the gang members said, “G you really have film in it, and you are really taking pictures.” One needs to remember this was before the Digital era, and carrying a camera everywhere was still an unusual practice.

 

אין תגובות: